Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jeffrey's Hobbit Party

My children are famous for choosing obscure party themes- you know, ones that not many people have done before so there are few ideas out there in blog land and NO supplies at the party store.

This one was no exception.  Jeffrey is currently reading The Hobbit and LOVES it.  So naturally he wanted a Hobbit party.  I, however, have not read it nor do I know ANYTHING about it.
I spent an evening trying to research ideas and didn't find much so I began to panic.
I tried to talk him into picking a different theme- any other theme- but just stared at me until I consented to give it my best effort.  It is his birthday after all!

I mostly loved the invites I came up with but forgot to take a picture... I'll add one tomorrow.


For the party favors I came up with these little packages of gummy worms and swedish fish tied with twine and a gold ring.  Gollum eats a lot of raw fish and worms I'm told...
And the ring of course is "my precious."
I made the tags look old by inking them.
 

I found these chocolate coins and attached a note to them.
I love how these favors turned out!

Then, there was the matter of the cake...
Jeffrey chose a chocolate bundt cake(because hobbits eat cake) and the shape was perfect to turn it into the Hobbit Hole with some green icing and candies.

I let Jeffrey do a bunch of it since it was all his idea- and his cake!
I was really proud of myself for being so easy going about it.

It turned out really cute!
 

The party was at the Kelly Inn Best Western pool- which was perfect since it is a woodland themed pool- complete with a bunch of barrels(which I'm told is a big part of the book?)

I brought a sword, some ravens, a red dragon, and some spiders for decorations.
 

We served root beer, pickles, grapes, carrots, ham sandwiches, fish crackers, and pretzels for supper.
All Hobbit themed food set out in wooden bowls and fancy metal trays.
I even found small wooden spoons so each kid had to eat with that!  The LOVED that.

It was a great feast!

Jeffrey brought his finish lego Hobbit Hole to set out on display.

All the sudden Mickey announced "a toast to Jeffrey- the birthday boy!"
It was hilarious!

I bought one "gold" goblet for Jeffrey to drink out of.

He got awesome presents- his friends sure know him and what he loves!
 
 

Then it was time for more swimming!
 
Everyone had tons of fun and Jeffrey loved his party.
I have to admit- I do kinda enjoy the party theme challenges they keep presenting me...
after my panic attacks subside!

I can't wait to find out what Mary Beth is cooking up for hers...

1 comment: