Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Lunchtime Concert {Art Plains Museum}

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Plains Art Museum has hosted several noon-time Christmas concerts over the last couple of weeks and since we homeschool we are fortunate enough to be able to go to them!  Today my friend Sarah was singing and we were so excited to see her.  We met our friends(that also homeschool) there and the kids were so good(as always) and colored quietly while listening to the beautiful music.
Afterward, unfortunately, a very nasty old lady came up to me and told me that it was very inappropriate that we brought our kids and sat in front and maybe we think we are providing a good experience for them but it is unfair to everyone else there.  Then she patted my condescendingly on the shoulder and finished with:  "And I'm an educator, so...." and she turned and pranced away.  I, of course, was left sitting there with my jaw on the floor.  Like usual, I never say the things I want to at the right moment in time.  I cried on the way home and was VERY upset about the whole thing the rest of the day.  The kids heard her too!!  :(
First let me say that that happened RIGHT AFTER several others came up to us and told us how well behaved the kids were and how nice it was that they were there(which people say to us all the time- because the kids ARE really good!)  Second, there are always other kids at these events so it was not an adult only function- in fact when the museum found out about this incident through my friend's husband they were MORTIFIED and told us that it is supposed to be kid friendly and not stuffy and that we are always welcome to bring our kids to anything there.  Thirdly, it was lunchtime concert- there were people moving around the whole time- getting their food and what not- and clanking their silverware, glasses, ect.  It wasn't meant to be dead silent and still in there!  I can't understand for the life of me what possessed that woman to walk all the way over there and ruin our day like that.  Merry Christmas I guess!!  I hope it made her feel better.  The museum ended up sending presents to all the kids and a nice note to my friend and I apologizing to us for the horrible experience we had that day.  Obviously it wasn't their fault but it was so sweet of them to react that way- I know it made me feel a lot better to get reassurance that we were not wrong to bring our kids there.
John said that lady probably has a thing against homeschooling and so she just had it in for us from the beginning.  How sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment